Malena DobalOf Counsel
Malena Dobal is Of Counsel in Selman Breitman’s Los Angeles office and is a member of the firm’s Insurance practice group. For more than 20 years, Malena has provided coverage-related analysis and recommendations to clients, represented insurers in policyholder coverage disputes, and defended insurers in bad faith claims. She has experience with a variety of policies, including commercial general liability, business property, homeowners, and personal and business auto.
With decades of experience in insurance, Malena is able not only to evaluate and explain complex coverage issues, but also to provide real world advice. She works closely with clients, inviting an open dialogue to achieve results that best serve her clients’ interests.
Malena is called upon by clients to give presentations relating to insurance coverage and claims handling issues. She has been recognized as AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell. Malena has also published numerous materials relating to insurance coverage.
Born in San Juan, Puerto Rico, Malena grew up in Culver City, California, where she currently resides with her husband. She has two children, both “grown and flown,” but who still visit in the summers and holidays.
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- American Bar Association, Member
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS), Member
- Southern California Chapter, Member
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM), Member
- Cultural Affairs Foundation of Culver City, Board Member
Publications and Speaking Events:
- Horizontal vs. Vertical Exhaustion at the Excess Level, Malena Dobal and Bryan M. Weiss, November 2014, International Association of Defense Counsel (IADC) Committee Newsletter.
- Speaker and author, “Insurance Adjuster Personal Liability for Negligent Misrepresentation and Intentional Infliction of Emotional Distress in Their Claims Handling,” February 20, 2015, American Bar Association CLE Seminar, Phoenix, Arizona.
- Panelist and co-author, “A Liability Carrier’s Duty to Defend,” March 31, 2015, Murchison & Cumming Insurance Roundtable.
- Panelist and co-author, “Claims Investigations – Avoiding Pitfalls and Bad Faith,” June 2, 2015, Murchison & Cumming Insurance Roundtable.
- Panelist and co-author, “Double Agents, Order-Takers, and Special Advisors – The Producer’s Intriguing Role in Coverage Disputes (Ethics),” February 19, 2016, American Bar Association CLE Seminar, Phoenix, Arizona.
- Moderator and co-author, “Adjusting Attitudes: Exploring the Role of the Attorney During the Adjustment of a Claim,” February 23, 2018, American Bar Association CLE Seminar, Phoenix, Arizona.