Ryan Sellers is a Partner in Selman Breitman’s Orange County office and is a member of the firm’s Insurance, Commercial Litigation, Trucking and Transportation, and General Liability practice groups. Ryan represents his clients in insurance coverage disputes, personal injury lawsuits, and complex business litigation, including cases arising out of alleged "bad faith," failure to defend and/or indemnify, violations of the Labor Code, consumer fraud, and unfair competition law. Ryan’s clients include insurance carriers, rental car companies, and a variety of small businesses. He also has experience in representing creditors in disputes that involve complex bankruptcy issues.
Ryan’s extensive experience in General Liability provides him a unique ability to investigate and defend claims from the inception of a lawsuit through appeal, be it a favorable settlement, dispositive motion, or verdict after trial. He works closely with his clients to obtain the most favorable result in a quick and efficient manner.
- Personal Injury Defense: Successfully intervened on behalf of insurer in auto accident lawsuit to set aside high six-figure default judgment then negotiated a settlement for a small fraction of the initial judgment amount.
- Personal Injury Defense: Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of an automobile accident lawsuit brought by a professional soccer player. The plaintiff's claimed medical specials were in the high six figure range and included a spinal fusion surgery. Plaintiff also alleged significant damages for pain and suffering and lost wages. Plaintiff demanded $2.5 million at mediation but settled for a small fraction of this amount.
- Personal Injury Defense: Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of a head-on automobile accident lawsuit brought by two passenger plaintiffs alleging a myriad of dental, orthopedic, neurological, and psychological injuries including claims of permanent traumatic brain injuries. Both plaintiffs retained neuropsychologists who performed a full work up and claimed significant traumatic brain injuries, cognitive impairment, and other psychological issues. On the eve of trial, the plaintiffs each settled for well below six figures.
- Personal Injury Defense: Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of a multiple-vehicle rear end accident lawsuit brought by a plaintiff that needed a future cervical surgery. The case eventually settled for a small fraction of the amount sought at mediation.
- Personal Injury Defense: Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of a rear end rollover accident brought by a plaintiff that allegedly needed future thoracic spine injections for the rest of her life. The case settled for a fraction of the alleged medical specials.
- Personal Injury Defense: Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a major rental car company in defense of an auto v. bicycle accident brought by a plaintiff who suffered a knee fracture resulting in knee surgery and a dislocated jaw. Plaintiff alleged lost earnings in excess of $1.5 million, permanent knee issues, and a traumatic brain injury. On the eve of trial, the plaintiff withdrew his lost earnings claim and conceded the weakness of his brain injury claim, and the case settled for a fraction of the mediator's proposal which was well under plaintiff's initial demand.
- Personal Injury Defense: Obtained a favorable settlement on behalf of a public entity involving a high speed rear-end bus accident on the I-405 freeway. The plaintiff alleged a brain bleed and permanent residuals from a traumatic brain injury as well as significant orthopedic issues allegedly warranting spinal surgeries. Plaintiff designated 12 expert witnesses. Defendant uncovered significant credibility issues of plaintiff and retained the necessary experts to refute plaintiff's claims. On the eve of trial, plaintiff accepted defendant's 998 Offer to Compromise in an amount equaling five percent (5%) of plaintiff's settlement demand. Several months after the settlement, defendant's counsel was informed that the plaintiff netted no money from the settlement proceeds.
- Business Litigation: Successfully opposed motion to compel production of third party employment records on relevance grounds on behalf of large accountancy firm.
- Business Litigation: Successfully opposed a motion for preliminary injunction following a three day evidentiary hearing in an alleged trade secrets case.
- Business Litigation: Obtained a dismissal on behalf of a major rental car company in a fraud case following a successful demurrer.
- Insurance Litigation: Obtained Statement of Decision in favor of insurer client following Bench Trial in Los Angeles Complex Court. The claimant sought to enforce a $9 million default judgment against our client's named insured plastering subcontractor. The claimant's lowest settlement demand before trial was $900,000. The Court awarded nothing to the claimant.
- Insurance Litigation: Obtained dismissal of insured's fraud claim at the pleadings stage.
- Insurance Litigation: Obtained monetary sanctions in the amount of $7,500 against plaintiff and her attorney in defense of bad faith lawsuit due to plaintiff's refusal to provide detailed factual responses to discovery.
- Breach of Contract: Obtained a high six-figure settlement on behalf of insurer against defunct insured's foreign parent company for audited unpaid premiums. The lawsuit involved complex issues of alter ego and fraudulent transfer.
- Breach of Contract: Obtained a high six-figure settlement on behalf of insurer against insured for audited unpaid premiums.
- Breach of Contract: Obtained summary judgment on behalf of commercial landlord against prior tenants.
Professional Associations and Memberships
- San Diego County Bar Association, Member
- Orange County Bar Association, Member