Selman Breitman Careers
Insurance Coverage Associate, First-Party Property & Third-Party Liability – Los Angeles
Selman Breitman is looking for an associate with one to five years of insurance coverage experience, particularly related to first-party property coverage and third-party liability coverage, to join our Insurance Coverage practice group in Los Angeles.
As an insurance coverage associate, you will be involved in all aspects of insurance coverage practice, including evaluating coverage, preparing coverage opinions, drafting motions, and litigating declaratory relief, contribution, indemnity, and bad faith actions for the firm’s insurer clients.
We know that the word "insurance" does not always have a positive connotation, but we pride ourselves on mastering unique issues that arise on a daily basis. Our goal is to provide flawless advice and service to our clients, which is especially important when dealing complex coverage issues.
As part of a small team, you’ll work with partners, associates and clients to resolve coverage issues and disputes. We're looking for people that approach problem solving pro-actively, and have the ability to both work independently and collaborate with peers.
What you'll be doing:
Creative problem solving for our insurer clients, including:
- Evaluating coverage
- Preparing coverage opinions to insurer clients
- Drafting motions
- Litigating disputed matters
- Negotiating successful settlements with other insurers and insureds
What you'll need:
- J.D. degree, required
- Admission to California State Bar, required
- 1 – 5 years of experience in a law firm or in-house position
- First-party property & third-party liability coverage experience, required
- Strong analytical skills
- Attention to detail (Is your Blue Book tabbed?)
- Independent Initiative – including the ability to investigate, evaluate and make recommendations that include a plan of action
- A good sense of humor
Additional consideration for:
- Prior experience in insurance coverage, whether at a firm or insurance company
- Prior experience litigating complex matters
- Admission to WA, OR, NV, AZ or other Western States
Selman Breitman is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation and benefits, as well as a collegial and inclusive environment with opportunities for growth.
To apply, please send resume and cover letter to Sharon Blackman: firstname.lastname@example.org